We’re having our first heat wave, the grass is turning golden, and the Spring flowers are going to seed. This photo above is a composite image that began life in my iPhone7plus as a close-up of flowers and seed pods. The second shot was an “atmosphere” shot of a bench, yellow flowers and dry grass. I thought to combine the photos into a more complex image that meant to me “going to seed—the end of Spring.”
The composite image was created with Lr Mobil, Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC. The images were loading into Lr Mobil on the iPhone, which uploaded them to the Creative Cloud and synchronized them with the Lr catalog on my MacBook Pro.
The images put into a collection, and opened as layers in Photoshop CC: The close up of flowers and seed podswas the background and the image of the bench was Layer 1. The blending mod of Layer 1 was set to Overlay.
In Photoshop CC, the flowers and seed pods of the background were selected and a new layer created with the selection as mask. The new layer was moved to the top of the layer stack and the blend mode set to overlay.
Bench and Flowers, iPhone7plus, 2017
Closeup of Flowers and Seed Pods, iPhone7plus, 2017
The composite image was toned, and the layers merged. The merged layer was duplicated, and the Find Edges filter applied. The blending mode on the new layer was set to the Overlay mode.
The result of this exercise was the image at the top of this post. Click on any image to get a higher resolution view.
Presented above is an iPhone 7plus image taken in full mid-day sun from the Palo Alto Baylands (looking South toward Skyline Amphitheater and Mt. Umunhum). The original photo was imported into Lr Mobile from the Camera Roll and synchronized to Lr on my MacBook Air desktop. The photo was cropped, straightened, and toned in the basic panel and some spots removed and, finally, spring flowers were blended into the lower left corner to make the final composite. The image was exported to the desktop and then uploaded to this blog.
Lr Mobil is an efficient way to quickly process photos from the iPhone. In a previous blog I used the Lr Mix and Lr Fix to process on the phone, and, in this test, I processed on the desktop. The two workflows seem equivalent for low-resolution photos for the www. Either workflow will produce good resolution, square-cropped images for my Instagram feed, here.
While doing this test, I noticed that my other desktop ( a MacBook Pro) was synchronized to a copy of the same Lr Catalog as my MacBook Air — the iPhone photos upload to both desktops (Is that a side effect, Adobe?). The edits on the MacBook Air did not synchronize to the MacBook desktops. I created a synchronized collection with the edited, virtual copies of the originals, which downloaded to the iPhone.
Spring Flowers and Dry Grass, Looking South toward Skyline Amphitheater , 2017
Cropped and ready to blend flowers
Original iPhone 7+ image, 2017
Mt Umunhum in distance at right
The gallery above shows the original iPhone image, the virtual copy toned and adjusted in Lr and Photoshop CC, and a square cropped version suitable for Instagram. The latter image has Spring flowers blended into the lower left corner using PS CC. Click on the gallery to enlarge the photos.
Note: U2 played at the Shoreline Amphitheater last night, and
It’s official — The Grateful Dead & Company with John Mayer are on their Summer Tour and play concerts across the United States.June 3 & 4 at Shoreline.
— Dead & Company
The original photo that was imported into Lr Mobile, was in the synchronized folder on my MacBook Pro. Today, I processed a color version, converting the original color photo to a bi-color version using Color Efex Pro 4. I also used the LR Develop module to quickly remove some power lines, and then exported the file to the Mac desktop after adding my logo and resizing to 1,200px.
I re-imported the desktop photo into LR and added it to my Lr Mobil synchronized collection, which downloaded automatically to my iPhone. As an aside, I edited the synchronized LrMobile photo, replacingthe original in the Lr Mobil catalog. You might not want that result.
After this test, I had a camera roll with the original photo taken by the camera, and, in my Lr Mobil Catalog are two photos: COx-Moon2-IMG_3883.jpb (807kb with logo) and IMG_3883.jpg (edited 1.3mb w/o logo).
Somewhat convoluted workflow, but it seems to work. The Adobe engineers deserve a lot of credit for making this possible. I’m getting to like this product.